Light-up Ceremony at Singapore Chinatown

How time flies, this year we be heralding the year of earth Goat in the coming Chinese New Year. I don't know why but I really prefer to celebrate Chinese New Year in February and what is so awesome this year is that we get to enjoy long weekend holiday starting from Thursday to Sunday in Singapore. Most people get to work for half a day on Wednesday so that we can do last minute spring cleaning or shopping to prepare for Chinese New Year reunion dinner.  Of course I'm envious of people in China and Taiwan who get to enjoy a week or two of long holiday. But in multi-racial Singapore, we get to enjoy two days of public holiday though I wish we can get more. 

Last year I attended the Light-up ceremony in Chinatown so this year I decided to join in the light-up ceremony in Chinatown again as I really like the loud cracking sound of firecrackers which kinda pop away last year bad luck away. The louder the firecracker, the better.  Also I got to see electrifying fireworks and to just explore the night market in Chinatown where you get to buy Chinese New Year decoration and goodies. 

This year I'm also happy that my birthday is during the Chinese New Year period too as I can toast yusheng or raw fish shredded salad with my friends and relatives. 

Here to a great, safe and prosperous Chinese New Year in advance to everyone!

Date: 31 January – 19 March 2015
Time:7.00pm – 6.00am ((18 & 19 Feb 2015)
         7.00pm – 2.00am (Friday & Saturday)
         7.00pm – 12.00mn (Sunday – Thursday)
Venue: Eu Tong Sen Street, New Bridge Road, South Bridge Road and Garden Bridge


 Arrived at Chinatown at about 6pm to meet my cousins and cousin-in-law for dinner.
 This year Chinese New Year decoration is similar to last year with Chinese coins hanging above the street.

 May this year be a safe and prosperous year!
According to Chinese fengshui, earth goat should be better than last year fire horse year. The elements are said to be more balanced as last year was an unbalanced year with too much fire elements.
 In Chinatown, you can buy affordable Chinese New Year decoration. God of Fortune and goat furry toy.
 Or you can buy Singapore souvenirs here.
 So many came for the official light-up ceremony. Could barely walk through in some part of the street.
 I brought this lovely ancient Chinese beauty in Han dynasty costume for $2.00
 Buy some Chinese New Year couplets for good fortune. 
 I think I buy few days before Chinese New Year as price will drop. 
 I find the goodies here not so cheap. I can help my mum to bake pineapple tarts.
 Different flavour jelly.
 Small mandarin oranges only cost $2.00 per basket.
 God of Fortune.
 Chinese dry sausages and duck from Guangzhou.

 Stage performance. Need to buy ticket to watch, else you have to watch snippets of it from afar.
 Locals and tourist admiring the fireworks.
 Yeah, I got to see 5 to 8 minutes of dazzling firework.
 Two more weeks and a half to Goat year!
Wishing tree outside Chinatown Point mall.

Comments

Popular Posts