Visiting Our Ancestral Home in China,Chaozhou 潮州

This post is first published at my travel blog at Just Travel and Enjoy Life in May 2017. Now during this period, we are advised not to travel, I just have to look at photos of beautiful places around the world that I visited and photos of Chaozhou shared by my father. 

Visiting Our Ancestral Home in China, Chaozhou 潮州

My father recently went to our ancestral home in Chaozhou Jieyang  (潮州揭阳) with his cousin to visit their relatives. My late paternal grandfather left Chaozhou Jieyang for Singapore with his parents when he was a teenager in 1940s. 

In the past, people used to say their China relatives would ask their Singaporeans' relative for monetary help. But now it's really different. My father's relatives in China Chaozhou are really successful, owning several properties in Chao Zhou and Hong Kong, and even operating successful business! 

Anyway besides visiting his relatives in Chaozhou, Jieyang, its also a foodie trip with his cousin to explore Chaozhou different places like Shantou, Chaoshan, Nan Ao island and Jieyang. Wow, my father had amazing seafood feast with oyster and urchin and also porridge buffet with more than 100 dishes. I will blog about the seafood feast later. But meanwhile enjoy the beautiful Chaozhou scenery. If I make any mistake, please correct me because I didn't go to Chaozhou but my father went. Anyway after looking at the feast they had, I also want to visit Chaozhou, my ancestral hometown hopefully next year. 
Guangji Bridge, also called Xiangzi Bridge is one of China's four famous ancient bridges built during the Song Dynasty (1170 A.D). It is located in the east of Chaozhou. There is a saying; If you never visit Xiangzi Bridge, you cannot say you have been to Chaozhou.
Jie Yang 
My father said this place is Shantou

Wow I love mountain! Maybe I visit Chaozhou in winter time when weather is cooler.

Comments

Popular Posts