Shilin Night Market in Singapore on 19th April 2019

I was excited that Taipei famous tourist Shilin night market is now in Singapore! I love Taiwan and have travelled to Taiwan several times since 2008. Yesterday, I went to Shilin night market at the carpark area at Singapore Turf Club with my cousins, aunt and uncle. I was happy and grateful that they fetched me at my home and we arrived at Causeway point shopping mall carpark. We took train at Woodlands MRT which is 2 stops away from Kranji MRT station as they anticipated difficulty in finding carpark.

It was drizzling when we arrived at the Shilin night market at about 4pm. Even then there were so many people at the food area. 

The long snaking queues at popular Taiwan food stalls were really ridiculous. My cousins had booked for Taiwan Devil fried chicken via Klook. Even then, she had to queue for 2 hours for the food! Some people who didn't book via Klook online had to queue to pay for the food first and then queue again for the ordered food!  I didn't want to waste time queuing up for food so I explored the shopping area where Taiwanese artists sell their crafts. I noticed Singaporeans came to the night market for the food only as the craft shopping area was sparse.

There are not many vegetarian options at Shilin night market. The Liang Sandwich doesn't offer vegetarian options as all sandwiches come with meat. Anyway I was so hungry I just ordered a Liang sandwich at $7 and asked that they don't add ham. It came with egg and cheese. Another vegetarian choices include famous Chia Te pineapple tarts.
Even though now Liang sandwich is in Singapore shopping malls like Raffles City shopping mall, I just brought a plain sandwich with egg as I wanted to eat something hot in the drizzling rain and it had the shortest queue. 

Luckily I had pre-booked ova-lacto vegetarian Taiwan famous Chia Te pineapple pastry ($13.00 per box with 6 pieces) and Sun cakes ($13.50 per box with 6 pieces) earlier and just showed them my pastry order voucher on my phone klook app. It is cheaper and faster to buy online. I saved $2 per box.Make sure you download the Klook app first. It only took me about 5 to 10 minutes to collect my pastry yesterday. I saw another long line where people were queuing to purchase the pastry. If you don't want to waste time queuing, its better to book for the  pastry first via Klook website here.

We left the night market at about 7pm and were surprised that even more people arrived. This time SMRT staff were directing the crowd at MRT station. We knew that they be disappointed as some popular food stalls had closed early as food had sold out early by 6.30 pm. I guess they didn't anticipate the huge turnout yesterday.

After spending about 3 hours at Shilin night market, we went to Causeway Point mall Food Republic foodcourt for dinner. In the car, my cousin jokingly said our government had the foresight to have the Shilin night market in the west and the opening of Jewel airport in the east this week to spread the crowd.

Shilin Night Market is at Carpark B at Singapore Turf Club 

Visit Shilin Night Market in Singapore website here for more information
Visit Shilin Night Market Singapore Klook website here.

Nearest MRT: Kranji MRT station
Date: 19 to 21 and 26 to 28 April 2019 (Friday to Sunday)
Time: 3 pm to 11pm


 Shilin Night Market is at Carpark B at Singapore Turf Club from 19 to 21 and 26 to 28 April from 3 pm to 11pm. Its just a 5-minute walk from Kranji MRT station.




Wishing area

 Beautiful windmills decoration.
We didn't really explore the 'Play' 玩 area as we just wanted to collect our food that we booked via klook website.

 I wanted to buy this Taiwan waffle until I saw the long queue. I heard that waffle was sold out around 6.30pm

 This popular and awesome Taiwan pineapple pastry is ova-lacto vegetarian. I paid $13.00 per box for the pineapple pastry (6 pieces). If you buy at Shilin night market,the price is $15.
I find pineapple pastry and sun cake from Chia Te bakery is the best!
There is also a fortune telling area. I didn't ask as a few fortune teller I went to didn't give accurate prediction for me.
 My cousin brought me this red bean matcha tea which is quite tasty.
 We arrived at Kranji MRT station at about 4pm and there were so many people.
 I find it quite annoying when water from umbrellas splashed onto my face as I squeezed through the crowd. 
 Performers singing mostly Mandarin and a Hokkien song. Think they also sang English song. After walking for so long, I needed a place to rest. I didn't really care even when the seat was wet. 
No meat option.
I was unhappy to see long queue at so many food stalls. I finally saw one with very short queue at Liang Sandwich as they have queue number counter. But I also waited for about 30 minutes for the food. I spent $7.00 for honey cheese egg with no ham. There is no option for vegetarian but you can ask them not to put meat but price stays the same at $7.00.

Comments

Popular Posts