Popular BookFest@Singapore 2014

Every year I look forward to BookFest@Singapore organised by Popular Bookstore, the largest bookstore chain in Singapore. I try to plan to buy the necessary stationery and books so that I don't have to buy for the rest of the year and I can enjoy steep discount up to 60%. Frankly speaking, I don't like to shop for clothes, watches,bags, shoes or jewelry which women my age like to splurge. My indulgence are books and cute stationery. Simply say, I'm a bookworm and person with few needs. 

I like this year BookFest as there is a exhibition on the history of Popular bookstore which is founded by Mr Chou Sing Chu who grew up in Shanghai and arrived in Singapore when he was 19 years old. It started as a Chinese bookstore. Today, it is the largest bilingual chain store in Singapore and Southeast Asia with branches in Hong Kong and Malaysia too. It is celebrating its 90th anniversary this year. 

I'm delighted that talented and humorous Taiwanese author, producer and director 九把刀 Giddens Ko is in Singapore for the sharing and book-signing event today. This year I finally got his autograph and I took a photo with him. I'm thankful he chose Singapore for his first public appearance after the scandals. He shared that it is important to do what you say and to pursue your dream. He fulfilled my simple dream by signing the two books that I brought and kindly posed for picture with all the readers who queued up for his autograph. I hope next year he will come to Singapore again. As usual I enjoyed his humorous sharing. Despite the challenges he faced this year, he gave an interesting and insightful talk. 

Well if you love books and stationery, come down to Suntec city Hall 401 -405 which start on 12 Dec and end on 21 December. There are more book signing event by local and regional writers. You can find out more at Popular BookFest@Singapore here.

Date: 12 Dec to 21 Dec 2014
Time: 10 am to 10pm.
How to get there?
Just alight at Cityhall MRT or Esplanade MRT and walk to Suntec City.
Difficult airline customer? A picture is worth a thousand words.
The entrance
 Enter I Remember Gallery to learn the history of Popular Bookstore
 Publications by World Book Company

 Popular's Founder Mr Chou Sing Chu
 This poster show the evolution of Chinese language for the last four thousand years.
 Chinese characters are inspired from observing nature
You can find Popular Bookstores all around Singapore.
 Old textbook in Singapore
You can buy CD albums at BookFest too.
Wide range of stationery are available too.
 九把刀 Giddens Ko
 九把刀 Giddens Ko like to start with his childhood.

He aspired to be a comic artist initially but he lost his comic book.

 Speak out for what you believe in.
Difficult airline customer? A picture is worth a thousand words.

Comments

Popular Posts