Winter Solstice Dongzhi 冬至安康

Happy Winter Solstice day. This morning I went to pray to my ancestors at temple. I was quite upset that I was informed late yesterday as I prefer to plan ahead so that I can stay at home most of the days reading, sketching or painting. I don't go out unnecessary unless I'm meeting my friends or cousins. Ideally, I prefer to be at home about 4 to 5 days per week and going out for 2 days per week during the holidays. So if you want to meet me for dinner or lunch, appreciate if you inform me a week or 2 in advance. 

After praying, I had the tangyuan or balls of glutinous rice prepared by my mum. Although there is no winter in Singapore, weather is much cooler in December and it is rainy season. 

From Wikipedia
The origins of this festival can be traced back to the yin and yang philosophy of balance and harmony in the cosmos. After this celebration, it is believed that days will have longer daylight hours and therefore create an increase in positive energy flowing in. The philosophical significance of this is symbolized by the I Ching hexagram fu (Chinese: 复, "Returning"). In Chinese, the word "Dong" means "winter" while "Zhi" means "arrival" giving the literal meaning of the festival "the coming of winter". Dongzhi celebrates the winter solstice, usually around December 21 to 23, and is observed on the longest night of the year. Symbolizing the victory of light over darkness, Dongzhi, represents that the days will start to grow longer and bring a sense of balance and harmony to people's lives. Based on Chinese beliefs of yin yang, "Yang" represents positive energy, warmth, and light. Following the Dongzhi Festival, daytime will gradually lengthen, as "Yang" will also increase.[4] It was also believed by some that it was the day the Kitchen God went to heaven to report to the Jade Emperor the conduct of a family.[5]
Tang yuan  balls of glutinous rice

Comments

Popular Posts