The Story of Singapore Teochew

Both my maternal and paternal grandfathers came to Singapore in the 1940s from China, Chaozhou 潮州, and both married local Chinese Teochew women. 

My grandfathers never return to China after settling down in Singapore. They had worked hard to support their many children and wives. 

My maternal grandfather was a handsome man when he was young. Many female neighbours liked to admire him from afar. My mum is also very pretty especially in her youth. I was wondering how did my maternal grandparents raise up 12 children in poverty in a small flat? 

My maternal grandparents really contributed to Singapore birth rate by producing 6 sons and 7 daughters (1 daughter was given away for adoption). Somewhere out there, I still have a aunty I never met and I wonder if I recognise her if I meet her one day. My paternal grandparents had 9 children. 

After observing my father, grandfathers and my uncles, I think most Teochew men are very faithful and pamper their wives. They also help to do house chores.

My father went to visit my grandfather's birth place a few years back and he enjoyed the ancestral visit. Once the coronavirus end, I plan to visit Chaozhou too in cooler weather like November. I just want to explore the land where my grandfathers spent their childhood and youth there.

Recently I came across an ebook on The Story of Singapore Teochew here. I find these Teochew nan amazing for successfully overcoming difficulties and later establishing successful businesses in competitive Singapore. Unlike them I have no business acumen and great aspiration and only like to read books, love art and sharing my knowledge.

Anyway I find their stories inspiring and hope it will inspire you too.

                  The Story of Singapore Teochew here

Comments

Popular Posts