Remembering Wong Ka Kui in June

25 years ago in June, I cried myself to sleep when I read that Wong Ka Kui, the lead singer from Hong Kong most popular band, Beyond passed away. That year, I was preparing for my Primary School Leaving Examination (PSLE). In the 90s, Beyond songs dominated the airwave. How time flies! I still like your songs despite all these years. 

Wong Ka Kui was the most talented Hong Kong singer who composed great music and lyrics like Boundless ocean, vast sky (海闊天空) and "Glorious Years" (光輝歲月) despite the fact he had no formal musical training. All he had was pure talent driven by his passion in music. With that he wrote timeless music like Boundless ocean, vast sky (海闊天空) "Glorious Years" (光輝歲月) that are still popular today.

I'm Teochew and don't really listen to Cantonese songs. However I like Beyond Cantonese songs. Perhaps I only listen to Wong Ka Kiu songs as he is a real musician.

Thank you for the wonderful music you left behind.
Finally, Beijing Madame Tussauds has launched Wong Ka Kiu wax replica. I must say its really well done because it looks like him 100%! The one hugging Wong Ka Kiu wax replica is his youngest brother.

One of my favourite Beyond song, Glorious Years" (光輝歲月)

Comments

Popular Posts