A Changed World: Singapore Art 1950s - 1970s at National Museum of Singapore

I really enjoyed the arts at National Museum of Singapore which features the exhibition, A Changed World : Singapore Art 1950s-1970s. I think the arts displayed here are comparable to those I saw at New York Museum of Modern Arts. If I have money, I guess I want to buy Liu Kang's painting. I really find his paintings very charismatic and with soul. 

From National Gallery
A Changed World explores the development of Singapore art in light of the rapid changes that took place in Singapore after World War II. It charts the artists’ own engagement with changes in Singapore’s political, economic, social and urban landscape, and how they expressed their responses through their art. The exhibition spans Singapore’s immediate post-war period, from which both an artistic and national consciousness began to emerge, to the 1970s, when a Singaporean identity came to be solidified while artists adopted a new pictorial language that was more international. The exhibition will feature over 120 paintings, drawings, prints and sculptures from the National Collection. 

Exhibition Gallery 2, Basement 
Date: 25 Oct 2013 - 16 Mar 2014 
Time: 10am - 7pm (last entry at 6.30pm) 
Admission: Free Admission


National Day 1967 by Liu Kang depicts the scene of National Day celebration with commemorative banners adorning the Supreme Court and City Hall buildings.
Negotiating a Nanyang Identity
Sharing by See Hiang To 
 From left to clockwise: Painting Class 1956, Old NAFA-St Thomas Walk 1954 by Lim Yew Kuan
Embracing Modernism section
Singapore River
Music, 1979, Mixed media on canvas by Tan Ping Chiang
By Liu Kang
Modern Art
A Clear Day by Yeo Hoe Koon. Looking at this painting reminds me of the arts at New York Museum of Modern Arts. I wanna buy this to display at my home.  He listened to opera while painting. It kinda look like dancing strokes or people running or dancing.
One of my favorite arts by Liu Kang, Artist and Model, 1954. It looks so cheery bright with white outline of the Bali scene.



Comments

Popular Posts